Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 (GBA) 2006

Here you can give reviews on different games.

Moderator: PikaFiend

Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 (GBA) 2006

Postby PikaFiend » Tue May 19, 2015 1:19 pm

It's time again for my weekly review. (One day late, sorry about that) This week, I'll be covering the sequel to Summon Night: Swordcraft Story. The games are very similar to each other, so I'll really only focus on the differences between them, thus, it'll likely be a lot shorter. Without any further adieu, let's get into it.

Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2

This game, like its predecessor, was localized by Atlus. It is not a direct sequel. The game takes place (Mostly) on an island that I forget the name of and may have never actually been named in-game. You take the role of Edgar/Aera, the sole surviving, orphaned child of the Colthearts clan of Craftknights who hold the power of the Edge Fencer within them, like their father before them. After a certain disaster, you were taken in and raised by another family of Craftknights living on the island.

Gameplay

The gameplay is largely unchanged from the previous game. There is a lot of grinding for levels and materials for crafting, as well as plenty of back tracking, although not nearly as much, due to the fact that there is no tower to navigate 50+ floors of. But there are some noticeable differences. Beginning on the overworld, you are now able to make use of all of the weapon types; Sword, axe, spear, knuckles and drills for those who need a reminder. Equipping different weapons on the overworld allows you to reach new places, remove obstacles and destroy certain things that the others do not, which is a feature I like because it adds a little extra flavour to exploring. A more subtle change is slightly more refined controls. Moving about is smoother, but apart from some better precision and easier timing, combat is basically the same until certain events happen and a new mechanic is added in that I will not detail. They also ramped up the character depth. Our new cast is much more involved in the story than the previous game, and good amounts of emotion and humour have been added in to reflect the new people to our little family of great characters.

The really key differences come in two areas: How you select your Summon Beast and Crafting. Selecting the Summon Beast is no longer a small quiz. Instead, during a certain event, you will simply be asked which character archetype you can see ahead before the screen pans up. Again, I won't go into these, you should discover them on your own, which ever one you end up with, I doubt you'll find yourself disappointed.

Crafting has received a major overhaul, though. Instead of getting recipes, you will have access to every recipe from the start, provided you have the correct materials and a Shapestone for the particular weapon. These are finite, but you have the option to break down old weapons and get the Shapestone back, should you need it. You are also able to add new abilities to your weapons. These range from combat skills attached to them like a 3 hit combo, to elemental enhancement. Again, you'll need the proper materials before you can add these on.

Design

The basic design for the game has stayed essentially the same, as with most other elements. A few upgrades such as combat, as mentioned above, but nothing enormous. That is, apart from the places you'll see. Unlike the previous game, the colours for most areas are very vibrant. It's a bright, lush island and as such, there is a much wider spectrum of colour involved in the world. We've moved from an industrious and gritty crafting city, to a tropical island village, complete with brightly dressed residents. You'll once again see a variety of other places as you progress through the story, such as a lovely snow scape. Again, they really put a lot of care into the way the presented the world.

Sound/Music

Other than presenting a different atmosphere, I can't really say much about this game that I didn't say about the previous one. The music reflects the areas you're in and events going on well. It's a bit cleaner, but not a major difference in quality. The same can be said about the voices. I really can't expand.

Overall/Summary

Everything I said about the previous game, once again, applies here. It can be tedious grinding for materials and levels, but it's an easy game to take casually, with clearly defined days and a story that's easy to pick back up even after a couple of months because of relevant dialog from the NPCs. The new characters bring their own charms, some of which were slightly lacking in the previous game, and plenty of humour, especially during some of the nightly walk scenes. Again, every game has its strengths and weaknesses, but if you're looking for a game that doesn't easily make you ragequit because of difficulty or -too- much grinding, that's got a light-ish story that's easy to follow, these games, both of them, are for you.

Well, with these two out of the way, my coverage of the Summon Night series is, at least for now, over. My next reviews will follow another series, one that's very dear to me, so look forward to those. I won't say outright what they are, but you'll know if you've ever been to the Warring City, Lumina Cloth.
"Insanity is just a state of mind." ~ Capt. B.F. "Hawkeye" Pierce
PikaFiend
GG Happy Helper

Return to Game Reviews