Future Game Genie Plans

All Support for the PS3

Moderators: PikaFiend, Kitsune, Gaarasaiyan

Future Game Genie Plans

Postby Vaaniks » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:15 am

(I wasn't sure what would be the most appropriate forum for this post, so I hope this one is okay. I've been trying to post this for the past several months, but with no luck.)

When I first got the PS3 Game Genie, I honestly did not know how many codes would be released and for how many games. With the initial difficulty the team at Hyperkin had at getting everything to work before they had a viable product, I assumed there wouldn't be very many games for the device. Over the years, I've been very, very pleasantly surprised at how many games are available here and the sheer number of codes for some of them. To make things better, the work and time that some members of the community volunteered helped expand the code base even more for certain games. Overall, I feel like the money I spent on the Game Genie has been well, well worth it. The product ended up being far, far better than I expected and went well beyond all my hopes for it.

Someday, probably much sooner rather than later, the service will end completely and the servers will shutdown. Unless Hyperkin decides to release the server code so someone else can create a server for the service (not likely) or unless they create a standalone program that will do what the server does (even less likely), we will no longer be able to use the program. It sucks, but that's the reality of an all (or mostly) digital age. It's the number one reason why I still buy physical whenever I can. We won't get that with the Game Genie. And you know what? That's okay. Hyperkin more than delivered on their product, and the awesome mods and admins on this website and in these forums went above and beyond the call of duty to help support the product and to create codes for it. Hyperkin does not owe us anything; they did everything they said they would (and more, in my opinion). With the PS3 on its final legs (sadly an understatement, but true), it would actually be crazy for them to still fully support the product at this point.

In preparation for the eventual closing of the servers, here's what I'm going to do, and it is something that everyone should probably be ready to do as well. I'm sure many of the mods and admins would agree with this, though I do NOT speak for them...

1. I'm going to go through the list of games available on this site and make note of all the ones that I actually own.

2. I will start at least a basic game save for all those games (may take awhile XD ).

3. I'm going to apply all codes in the official lists that I want to apply.

4. I'm going to peruse the forums and apply all community-created codes that I want to apply.

5. Finally, I will backup all the saves from steps 2 through 4 onto my computer.

This way, once the servers go down, I will still have backed up saves with codes applied to them that I can still use. I just have to copy the saves onto a USB stick or external HDD, and then copy that onto my PS3. It's not a perfect method, and it will take some time, but it'll be worth it. Even if I don't finish going through all my games, I won't be disappointed. As I said, Hyperkin and the mods and admins on this site more than delivered on their promises, and I am completely satisfied with what they've delivered.

I advise that everyone do something similar.
Vaaniks

Re: Future Game Genie Plans

Postby PS3guy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:16 pm

After reading your statement, all I can say is that I was hoping for a bit longer before something like this happened. I am not that tech-savy for doing all that what you mentioned in your post here. The best I can do for myself is just hope for the best and make do with whatever comes our/my way. I still like to game on PS3 games that I own which require cheat codes; I've still got at least a few left that I haven't even begun to officially play yet.

Until then, I will continue to game on my PS3 with a positive outlook and give my respect and credit where it's due to all my fellow players, the admins and mods alike. You all helped to make gaming experiences for players like me more than just gaming the way it was generally intended for altogether. -- THANKS AND KUDOS TO YOU ALL. :mrgreen:
PS3guy
Contributer

Return to Support for Game Genie Save Editor for Playstation 3