Too Many Activations/Error 1005 - What it is & how to fix it

All Support for the PS3

Moderators: PikaFiend, Kitsune, Gaarasaiyan

Too Many Activations/Error 1005 - What it is & how to fix it

Postby GenieLamp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:06 am

Every Game Genie: Save Editor for PS3 allows up to TWO activations at any one time. When this limit is exceeded, the following error appears:

The maximum number of activations has already been reached.
Please de-activate your other installation first. (1005)

This means you MUST de-activate one of your activations before it can be re-used.

Game Genie: Save Editor for PS3 has the ability to de-activate by either going to SETTINGS or uninstalling the Game Genie: Save Editor for PS3.

Although we understand sometimes it's not possible because Windows has just "died" or a hard drive has failed, we have made it so that you, the user, can quickly and easily de-activate the product and it is important you do this. And for those emails and PMs who have stated it's "stupid", there are some software products out there where as you get a certain number of activations and if you forget to de-activate one, it's tough and that activation cannot be recovered. We're not quite that mean!

How to fix

If you have it already installed it on two computers, go to SETTINGS and de-activate OR simply uninstall the Game Genie: Save Editor for PS3 software. If that does not resolve Error 1005, then:

• Game Genie: Save Editor for PS3 (US) supplied with License Key - PM GenieLamp (no other forum member can help) with your PayPal Transaction ID, date of purchase, full name and email address.
  • Game Genie: Save Editor for PS3 (US) supplied with Game Genie USB drive - Run the software and wait for Error 1005 to appear. Once this occurs, go to http://www.ipchicken.com/ and copy and paste the IP address into a private message to GenieLamp. No other information is required!
  • Game Genie: Save Editor for PS3 (EU) supplied with License Key - Email support (as found on http://www.gamegenie.eu) with your PayPal Transaction ID, date of purchase, full name and email address.

If you have a License Key, please do NOT include it in any PMs or emails! Your License Key should never be disclosed to anyone!

If anyone starts a topic about the fact that Game Genie: Save Editor for PS3 is giving the above error and asking how to fix it, it will be deleted!
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Re: Error 1005 - What is is and how to fix it.

Postby GenieLamp » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:21 pm

If you need to post one message in order to send a PM, please do so after this message :D
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Re: Error 1005 - What is is and how to fix it.

Postby Gaarasaiyan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Thanks Lamp stickied for ya so it'll stay on top.

If you don't like what a mod does or says message me, but be warned they are merely enforcing the rules. If you feel that you have been treated unfairly feel free to PM me and I will review the issue.
Gaarasaiyan
Lead Admin

Re: Too Many Activations/Error 1005 - What it is & how to fi

Postby ss4gogeta069 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:17 pm

Follow the instructions in the first post. GenieLamp will get back to you eventually.
Self-proclaimed resident Vita guru. If you have any questions PM me :-)

Follow me on Twitter @johnfrazarjr and visit me at HackInformer for all your Vita, PS3 and gaming news!

PS2
PS3 - OFW - Latest FW
PS3 - CFW
PS Vita - 3.50 eCFW
PS4
Wii
3DS
DS Lite
ss4gogeta069
Super Saiyan

Postby ss4gogeta069 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:30 pm

You can't PM until you have one post so now just find his name at the beginning of this thread and under it there will be a little icon that says PM. click it and send him the info.
Self-proclaimed resident Vita guru. If you have any questions PM me :-)

Follow me on Twitter @johnfrazarjr and visit me at HackInformer for all your Vita, PS3 and gaming news!

PS2
PS3 - OFW - Latest FW
PS3 - CFW
PS Vita - 3.50 eCFW
PS4
Wii
3DS
DS Lite
ss4gogeta069
Super Saiyan

Postby alielle3 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:44 am

I PMed a while back but haven't heard. How long should this take?
alielle3

Postby PikaFiend » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:44 am

It depends on GenieLamp's schedule and how long it's been since you sent the PM.
"Insanity is just a state of mind." ~ Capt. B.F. "Hawkeye" Pierce
PikaFiend
GG Happy Helper

Postby iHakupXL » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:51 am

posting for pm requirement
iHakupXL

Postby alielle3 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:47 am

PikaFiend wrote:It depends on GenieLamp's schedule and how long it's been since you sent the PM.

1/20. It's still in my Outbox. Should it have moved to Sent?
alielle3

Postby PikaFiend » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:55 am

Well, four days isn't that long of a wait. I mean, I know it seems like it and it's inconvenient, but Lamp will most likely get to you within the week.
PikaFiend
GG Happy Helper

Postby Alucard » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:00 pm

The maximum number of activations has already been reached.
Please de-activate your other installation first. (1005) .

:!: :?:
Alucard

Postby Kitsune » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:53 pm

Alucard wrote:The maximum number of activations has already been reached.
Please de-activate your other installation first. (1005) .

:!: :?:

Read the first post.
rangeraragorn wrote:In my opinion, if you don’t contribute, you shouldn’t be complaining.
Kitsune
Site Admin

Postby Yummy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:29 am

First off, this forum's password requirements are the tightest I've seen yet and..... well, let's just say I would never commit to any message board who has them. I only registered to address this problem and nothing else.

Anyway, my computer died. So I tried to register the game genie on my backup computer and now it's saying I have too many activations and need to deactivate it.

A, have any of these geniuses taken in to account that a major reason for registering it on one computer is that the previous computer died? I mean, you have to go online to mod game files anyway. Is it really that hard to just auto deactivate the last computer if you register anew?

Second, I read that a maximum of 2 activations is OK. If that's the case, then why is this even a problem at all? I've never even tried to activate it on a 3rd computer.

Sheesh...
Yummy

Postby Kitsune » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:12 am

Yummy wrote:First off, this forum's password requirements are the tightest I've seen yet and..... well, let's just say I would never commit to any message board who has them. I only registered to address this problem and nothing else.

Anyway, my computer died. So I tried to register the game genie on my backup computer and now it's saying I have too many activations and need to deactivate it.

A, have any of these geniuses taken in to account that a major reason for registering it on one computer is that the previous computer died? I mean, you have to go online to mod game files anyway. Is it really that hard to just auto deactivate the last computer if you register anew?

Second, I read that a maximum of 2 activations is OK. If that's the case, then why is this even a problem at all? I've never even tried to activate it on a 3rd computer.

Sheesh...

Most likely you installed it a second time without realizing or remembering it. It does happen often enough.

I personally haven't seen anyone complain that the password requirements were too strict, and actually had someone say they were not strict enough.... But to each their own, my normal password fit the requirements easily.

I'm not sure if you are being facetious or not, but the most likely answer for your question about deactivation is probably to make sure that it is still in your hands, that if someone else stole your Key, they couldn't deactivate it themselves, locking you out of your own product. And that was a run-on sentence, sorry.

Hopefully you sent a PM to GenieLamp to get some help with this, and can get back to your Save Editing, and hopefully I was able to answer your questions, if only a little.

Have a wonderful day.
rangeraragorn wrote:In my opinion, if you don’t contribute, you shouldn’t be complaining.
Kitsune
Site Admin

Postby Yummy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:09 pm

My game genie came on a USB stick and I still have it. I only have 2 computers and have only had 2 computers in the time I've had the game genie. What am I suppose to say in that PM?
Yummy

Postby Kitsune » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:44 pm

Yummy wrote:My game genie came on a USB stick and I still have it. I only have 2 computers and have only had 2 computers in the time I've had the game genie. What am I suppose to say in that PM?

Simply what you told me, you own the Game Genie USB Stick, and you are having the 1005 issue. He will get back to you ASAP with instructions on what he needs or what you need to do, but it couldn't be a few days to a week or so, so bare that in mind.
Kitsune
Site Admin

Postby Yummy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:56 pm

done
Yummy

Postby Eviltidus » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:34 pm

Hello, My name is derrick and I love too play games.... ok now i need help lol
Eviltidus

Postby PikaFiend » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:27 pm

Help with what? A 1005 error or something else?
PikaFiend
GG Happy Helper

Postby Task » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:45 pm

I sent a private message on here to GenieLamp over a week ago, still waiting on a followup. It took 8 days on FaceBook for a reply directing me here, which I tried a day after trying there. I guess I should've sent a followup message there telling them I already tried here. I'd just buy a new one, but they're $115-120+ on Amazon and Ebay. Any chance there will be a re-release? Those Third-Party sellers are ridiculous.
Task

Postby PikaFiend » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:04 pm

Lamp can take a while to respond, but he will. I know the wait is frustrating, but there's nothing that can really be done about that.
PikaFiend
GG Happy Helper

Postby Kitsune » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:34 pm

Task wrote:I sent a private message on here to GenieLamp over a week ago, still waiting on a followup. It took 8 days on FaceBook for a reply directing me here, which I tried a day after trying there. I guess I should've sent a followup message there telling them I already tried here. I'd just buy a new one, but they're $115-120+ on Amazon and Ebay. Any chance there will be a re-release? Those Third-Party sellers are ridiculous.

You could buy the EU Version, which is digital only. It supports both US and EU.

The US version, I believe, has been discontinued, or at least that is how I was told.
Kitsune
Site Admin

Postby GUTTZ69 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:17 pm

Can you help me please I'll PM you.
so my game genie was working fine but the new update asked me to put the usb in the computer. So i did and it came up with this 1005 error. I did install it on another computer and this one, however I don't have the other computer anymore. Also I can't access the program on this computer to deactivate it this computer.
Please help me.....
GUTTZ69

Postby PikaFiend » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:04 pm

First, please don't make multiple posts or topics about the same thing. But yes, the issue can be resolved, just follow the instructions in the first post and give it a bit of time.
PikaFiend
GG Happy Helper

Postby Yummy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:44 pm

Kitsune wrote:
Task wrote:I sent a private message on here to GenieLamp over a week ago, still waiting on a followup. It took 8 days on FaceBook for a reply directing me here, which I tried a day after trying there. I guess I should've sent a followup message there telling them I already tried here. I'd just buy a new one, but they're $115-120+ on Amazon and Ebay. Any chance there will be a re-release? Those Third-Party sellers are ridiculous.

You could buy the EU Version, which is digital only. It supports both US and EU.

The US version, I believe, has been discontinued, or at least that is how I was told.

I am seriously considering whether or not I will ever spend another dime with this company and stuff like the above isn't helping.

I too haven't heard from Lamp and it's been well over a week.
Yummy

Postby Yummy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:48 pm

My issue isn't with him or the time it takes. It's the overall policies of the company. In other words, that talking with him at all is even necessary in this and a couple other other cases I've observed.

There are several computer related companies I refuse to do business with because of their stubborn and/or heavy handed policies and overall conduct.
Yummy

Postby PikaFiend » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:47 pm

Do you believe that the activation limit shouldn't exist? Or is it that you don't think customer/tech support should be necessities for industries where-in customers some times require support? I'm not following your thought process very well here because you're using very vague language.
PikaFiend
GG Happy Helper

Postby GUTTZ69 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks Lamp for the help I really appreciate it.
Happy happy happy.
GUTTZ69

Postby TenthDoctor80 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:53 pm

Posting for PM requirement.
TenthDoctor80

Postby Yummy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:33 pm

PikaFiend wrote:Do you believe that the activation limit shouldn't exist? Or is it that you don't think customer/tech support should be necessities for industries where-in customers some times require support? I'm not following your thought process very well here because you're using very vague language.

I believe in the standard we've lived with for decades. That validity of the program goes with the hardware whenever possible. Being that the game genie has to be both plugged in and connected to the internet to work, it makes no sense why activation doesn't just follow the hardware around.

I appreciate game genie lamp's efforts and that fact that he's there at all. But I think we can all agree that if you buy a brand new car and it's tires wear out in the first week, come to find it was meant to do that, even IF their technicians are good folks, friendly and fix the problem for you, you'll still find yourself wondering why you had to see the technician in the first place.

rangeraragorn wrote:As for the activation limit...let's face it, we're a bunch of hackers. I'm sure at least one "bad seed" in the bunch has tried to exploit the limit at some point, either by trying to give access to several of their buddies, or trying to get the software to work without having to actually pay for it themselves (like through a torrent).

While I don't think there is a sound way around hackers (don't get me started with them) it seams to me at least that a "follow hardware" activation system would be even MORE effective than activation limits, though I understand as I am sure you do too that neither are sound preventative measures. You'd effectively be doing the same security checks every time you use the program as when you first register it. Since you need the hardware to move files from PC to game console and have to connect to the internet in order to download your modified save file, I don't see why this is an issue.
Yummy

Postby PikaFiend » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:41 pm

As Aragorn said, not everyone has the GG flash drive. Many, if not most, use the digital version and whatever flash drive they have handy. It makes more sense to set an activation limit, given that there are two types of software/hardware combo for using the program, than to have two sets of protocols to maintain.

As for your analogy, it doesn't follow. The GG isn't designed to need replacing, nor are the activations. Circumstances arise that can't be predicted, like system failures or bricking, but that's far from the same as a company intentionally selling a product that needs replacement by design.
PikaFiend
GG Happy Helper

Postby Kravenoff » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:44 am

Wow thought I was out of luck when I lost the second computer.
Kravenoff

Postby MichaelD77 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:58 pm

I seriously gotta remember to de-activate the game genie before I format. Oh well. Installed on notebook, reformatted and sold without deactivating. Had it installed on PC, hard drive died. I've got no luck.
MichaelD77

Postby johnrasmussen27 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:35 pm

wish i would've read this when i upgraded to windows 8 i had to to a clean install now im stuck
johnrasmussen27

Postby Saxx » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:22 pm

I got the same error and needa fix please help
Saxx

Postby MaxtorMM » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:43 pm

I'm in same boat. Submit the PM request/details on the 13th.
MaxtorMM

Postby novafox3 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:09 am

Same thing is happening to me. Laptop died with GG still installed. Sent the request on the 11th
novafox3

Postby princeauryn » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:36 am

Posting here so I can PM GenieLamp. My computer crashed, so I had to reinstall Windows, and of course I wasn't able to deactivate my copy of GG.
princeauryn

Postby MaxtorMM » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:48 pm

Is there no other support option for getting these activations reset? Its been about two weeks now and still no reply or acknowledgement that the request is even in the works. I understand GenieLamp may be busy with other items, but this support model needs to be changed if it relies on a single individual. I am not saying to remove activations as I understand the reason for them. But, so many software shops that do a similar activation model at least have an automated way to perform this task if you supply all of the proper information. Even iTunes lets you just deactivate all activated devices for your account with a simple button click if you don't have access to each device.
MaxtorMM

Postby bear19742 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:00 am

I NEED HELP PLEASE HELP ME GENIELAMP
bear19742

Next

Return to Support for Game Genie Save Editor for Playstation 3