Game Genie Asking For Licence Key

All Support for the PS3

Moderators: PikaFiend, Kitsune, Gaarasaiyan

Game Genie Asking For Licence Key

Postby Gabe123 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:01 pm

i had a issue with windows 8 and i had to deactivate game genie....fixed the problem with windows 8 and installed game genie again...now its asking me for a licence key....i got the box along with everything and it doesn't come with the licence key.....i really dont want to buy another game genie because of this???? what can i do to fix this problem...
Gabe123
GG Fan

Re: Game Genie Asking For Licence Key

Postby Mitdog » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:55 am

Did you plug in the GG USB before you started the GG program?
PS3 DEH BH1100 A-B Debug/Test 3.55 Debug MFW
Ps3 cecha01 Rogero 4.31 640gb
Ps3 cecha01 4.21
PS2 Phat FreeMC Boot 500gb hdd and patched Code Breakers and HDD Loader
Mitdog
Site Admin

Postby Gabe123 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Mitdog wrote:Did you plug in the GG USB before you started the GG program?

Yes i did i deleted registry and uninstalled and did it again..still doesn't work..:(
Gabe123
GG Fan

Postby Gabe123 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:22 am

so is there any way i can get this to work without spending another 30 bucks?
Gabe123
GG Fan

Postby GenieLamp » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:42 am

Things I'd like to know:

1) What version of Windows 8 is it, eg Pro?
2) 32bit or 64bit?
3) Is it the release candidate version?
4) Did you do a clean install or upgrade?

What was you exact "issue with Windows 8" that you had?
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Postby Gabe123 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:42 pm

GenieLamp wrote:Things I'd like to know:

1) What version of Windows 8 is it, eg Pro?
2) 32bit or 64bit?
3) Is it the release candidate version?
4) Did you do a clean install or upgrade?

What was you exact "issue with Windows 8" that you had?

1) Its Windows 8 Pro With Media Center
2) 64 Bit
3) Its the final version
4)i did a upgrade from windows 7 64bit

i had a problem with Google chrome....i tried everything to fix it and still didn't work...so i was gonna re install windows 8....then i just deactivated game genie.....but when i checked Google chrome for one last time it works (played videos) so i just decided im not gonna go threw the hassle of re installing windows 8...then i activated game genie...then to my surprise it asks me for a licence key :(....

so i didn't re install windows 8 basically what i did is deactivate game genie then reactivated again....
Gabe123
GG Fan

Postby GenieLamp » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:57 pm

It's not asking for a License Key, it's giving you a choice between using a Game Genie USB drive or a License Key. As yours came with the Game Genie USB drive, that's what you must use.

I'm having someone re-test the product with Windows 8 as I was informed it was all working without issue. Give me a few days and I'll get back to you.
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Postby Gabe123 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:30 pm

GenieLamp wrote:It's not asking for a License Key, it's giving you a choice between using a Game Genie USB drive or a License Key. As yours came with the Game Genie USB drive, that's what you must use.

I'm having someone re-test the product with Windows 8 as I was informed it was all working without issue. Give me a few days and I'll get back to you.

i got the original game genie usb and its still not working :(...i did reset my router and modem due to some issues with them also...i dont know if that did something wrong..
Gabe123
GG Fan

Postby GenieLamp » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:31 am

I've just tried a computer with a clean install of Windows 8 and the current retail version of Game Genie: Save Editor for PS3 along with a Game Genie USB drive and had no problems at all.

I've tried both the following ways to register:

1) Load Game Genie: Save Editor For PS3 then insert the Game Genie USB drive.
2) Insert the Game Genie USB drive and then load the Game Genie: Save Editor For PS3.

Both methods worked fine.

One thing I've never asked Gabe123 is when you insert the Game Genie USB drive into your computer running Windows 8, does it recognize the device and can you access the contents of the drive?
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Postby Gabe123 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:06 am

yea it did work well with game genie....but when i deactivated it......then reactivated on the same windows 8....it asks for a key and to insert game genie.....i insert it and windows 8 detects it...and nothing else happens...:(....is there a way i can get a key or something...if i have to pay thats fine...i just dont want to pay then wait a week to get game genie again
Gabe123
GG Fan

Postby Gabe123 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:52 pm

been about 2 to 3 weeks with this problem....is there anyway i can pay to get a download of it?
Gabe123
GG Fan

Postby GenieLamp » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:23 am

Has Lying Cake been in touch with you, Gabe123?
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Postby Gabe123 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:45 pm

GenieLamp wrote:Has Lying Cake been in touch with you, Gabe123?

yea he said to return game genie to them.....problem is i got the box and everything...but i switched the usb...and before u guys say that's the problem...i transferred everything that was in the original game genie usb to the usb i have now....it was working perfectly till i deactivate it......also if i buy a new game genie again.....it will work right????
Gabe123
GG Fan

Postby GenieLamp » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Switched the USB?
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Postby Gabe123 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:47 pm

GenieLamp wrote:Switched the USB?

the original game genie usb was working on and off....it depends how it was placed in the connector.....so i just decided to switch the usb....i got a better one and i just transferred everything it had to the new usb....
Gabe123
GG Fan

Postby GenieLamp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:26 am

You still need the original Game Genie USB drive and we'd need that back to replace it.
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Postby Gabe123 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:09 pm

once i get another game genie would it work for my windows 8....im just thinking about buying another one.....
Gabe123
GG Fan

Postby Gabe123 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:48 pm

can someone plz help me out...
Gabe123
GG Fan

Postby GenieLamp » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:11 pm

There's no reason it shouldn't work. We've tried it several Windows 8 machines without issue.

I would suggest you PM Lying Cake and ask that if you purchase it from Hyperkin, if you can return it for a refund if you have the same issue again.
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Postby Rozial » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:18 pm

I'm having the same issue except I'm on windows 7. I just downloaded an update for game genie and now it's asking for a license key or flash drive. When i insert the flash drive nothing happens except the window to open the drive and look at the files. The program ignores it.
Rozial

Postby GenieLamp » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Close Game Genie: Save Editor for PS3.

Now, insert your Game Genie: USB drive. Wait about 10 seconds for Windows to find and finish accessing the device and then run the Game Genie: Save Editor for PS3.
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Postby Rozial » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:32 pm

I've tried that. I put in the device waited for it to allow me to access its contents and then ran the program but it ignores it. I've also tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling via usb but after it installs the same thing shows up and refuses to acknowledge the device even though it was just installed by it. I have also tried the repair option from the device's setup menu. None of them have worked. I have used all the usb ports in my computer and while all of them allow me to access the device the program still refuses to acknowledge it.
Rozial

Postby Rozial » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:35 pm

It was working fine until a few minutes ago after I downloaded an update for it.
Rozial

Postby TheGamingBuddhist » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:16 pm

i got the same issue, it asks if i have a usb to plug it in
i do so and it says an error and cannot contact the server and to try again

btw when i bought my usb game genie im not sure if it came with a license key
and if so was it on a manual or something? i just have the usb drive now
TheGamingBuddhist
Contributer

Postby tsgenieluver » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:29 am

mine too. it was working fine without the update for a couple months, then after i installed it it no longer works on any of the devices in my house. (2 PCs and 1 laptop) i keep getting the cannot contact the server error. it doesnt have any numbers or code or anything just that little annoying box with no explanation as to what the problem really is.
tsgenieluver

Postby GenieLamp » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:33 am

tsgenieluver: So you're getting the cannot connect to server issue too?

What ISP are you using and version of Windows?
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Postby Rozial » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:02 am

Mine isn't can't connect to server it just won't acknowledge the USB Drive.
Rozial

Postby GenieLamp » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:24 pm

Can you see the Game Genie USB drive in Device Manager?
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Postby Rozial » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:22 am

Yes
Rozial

Postby GenieLamp » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:18 am

Rozial wrote:Mine isn't can't connect to server it just won't acknowledge the USB Drive.

And does it appear in My Computer/Computer?
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Postby Rozial » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:23 pm

It appears in disk drives and is called Generic USB Flash Disk USB Device.
Rozial

Postby GenieLamp » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:00 am

Sent you a PM Rozial :)
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Postby RogDodge » Tue May 14, 2013 7:37 am

Sorry to dig this up, but I recently bought a game and tried to use my USB GG after about 2 months of not using it. I got the error that it needed the License Key so I reinstalled and tried it again thinking because I also received the "cannot connect to the server" error. I have re installed it on my Win 7 machine multiple times, as well as installing it on my laptop but have gotten the same error multiple times. I'll try it once more when I get to my work PC just to make sure it is not my actual network.

Thanks for any help you might provide.
RogDodge

Postby deicide » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:16 am

Just got my Game Genie and having the same problem, I'm using Windows 7 and did just what the instructions say, but after saving the stuff to the usb, when I put it back in my computer USB drive not valid(1004) error code? what the hell.
deicide

Postby GenieLamp » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:45 am

RogDodge wrote:Sorry to dig this up, but I recently bought a game and tried to use my USB GG after about 2 months of not using it. I got the error that it needed the License Key so I reinstalled and tried it again thinking because I also received the "cannot connect to the server" error. I have re installed it on my Win 7 machine multiple times, as well as installing it on my laptop but have gotten the same error multiple times. I'll try it once more when I get to my work PC just to make sure it is not my actual network.

Thanks for any help you might provide.

It's probably either something related to your PC or your network. Once you've tried it another location, PM me and we'll go from there :)
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Postby GenieLamp » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:47 am

deicide wrote:Just got my Game Genie and having the same problem, I'm using Windows 7 and did just what the instructions say, but after saving the stuff to the usb, when I put it back in my computer USB drive not valid(1004) error code? what the hell.

It could be the Game Genie USB drive is faulty. I have sent you a PM :)
GenieLamp
Game Genie Overlord

Postby Yahoo Face » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:32 pm

I hope someone can help me because I just don't know what to do!! It's been about a year since I've played my PS3 & I recently just started to get back into it. Today, I tried to use my Game Genie PS3 USB, and upon plugging it in, I was greeted with a pop-up saying "If your Game Genie came with a USB drive, please insert it now - If your Game Genie came with a License Key, please enter it below". From what I remember, there never was any kind of product/license key on the USB box. Also, there isn't anything on the USB that says "License key". Now I haven't updated my version of windows or anything, nor have I made any changes to my computer (I think) that would conflict with the use of the USB drive. I'm running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.

There was one thing that I thought was a bit strange... when I plugged the USB in my PC, I saw a message pop up in the bottom corner of my desktop that said, "installing generic USB" or something similar to that. After that, I tried to access the usb from the "my computer" menu and I saw that it said "Generic USB Flash Disk USB Device (H):" and I assume that is what my PC is now listing my the Genie drive as.

If someone could PLEASE help me and tell me what to do, I'd greatly appreciate it!! This has been very upsetting, especially since I was all set on playing some old & new PS3 games, and now it's as if my PC completely ignores the fact that a game genie usb is even plugged in.

Please let me know what to do to fix this!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Yahoo Face

Postby Gaarasaiyan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:53 am

First off try this, when it ask for a key simply remove the USB & re insert it wait for about 1 minute. If nothing happens report back.

If you don't like what a mod does or says message me, but be warned they are merely enforcing the rules. If you feel that you have been treated unfairly feel free to PM me and I will review the issue.
Gaarasaiyan
Lead Admin

Postby Yahoo Face » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:32 pm

Gaarasaiyan wrote:First off try this, when it ask for a key simply remove the USB & re insert it wait for about 1 minute. If nothing happens report back.

No good. :(

Tried it, still getting the same result. I also tried restarting my PC 2 separate times, along with shutting down various start-up programs just to be certain there isn't anything else conflicting or taking up system resources while inserting the usb drive, and I'm still getting the same result. Any other suggestions that might help?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yahoo Face

Postby Gaarasaiyan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Seems it is another issue then. I can't reset your activations, pm genielamp & he can further assist you with this issue.

If you don't like what a mod does or says message me, but be warned they are merely enforcing the rules. If you feel that you have been treated unfairly feel free to PM me and I will review the issue.
Gaarasaiyan
Lead Admin

Next

Return to Support for Game Genie Save Editor for Playstation 3